[PLUG] PPPoE

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sun Apr 9 22:47:12 IST 2006

On Sunday 09 April 2006 04:40, Pratim Chaudhuri wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am a newbie in Linux.
>
> I have recently installed 64 bit Suse 10.0 on my laptop.
>
> I want to remove windows from my laptop.
>
> But I am facing one hurdle. I have tried a lot and also did a lot of
> google search for information related to connecting to "tata indicom" or
> "other broad band" connection by using PPPOe in Linux.
>
> But did not get any fruitful information.
>
> If any of you are using Tata indicom broadband in linux (or any other
> broad band connection), then please guide me and advice me "how should i
> get connected to Internet".

I am using exatt broadband in deccan area exclusively in slackware linux,
current from a month back. It uses pppoe.

The steps are very very simple. Of course being slackware, there are no
distro. specific tools but this is a very generic setup.

- Make sure that you have
rp-pppoe(http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_rp-pppoe.php)
installed.
- Run following pppoe-setup as root. Answer all questions
- Run pppoe-start to verify that connection is up.
- Add /usr/sbin/pppoe-start in /etc/rc.d/rc.local for automatic startup.

Caveat is I don't have a modem. My ISP has hooked it up in directly into the
onboard via rhine NIC. Getting modem drivers could be pain in the neck
sometimes.

In older versions of rp-pppoe, the commands are adsl-setup, adsl-start and
adsl-stop.

I am trying to make the same work in netbsd but the results aren't consistent
and I can't spend much time on it.

HTH

 Shridhar

P.S. Shameless plug but anyways. I am syncing slackware current regularly. I
can  burn the CDs of the same if anybody needs it.