[PLUG] Gnunify 07?

Rohan Dighe linuxdominatrix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 10:19:01 IST 2006

> This sounds like a brilliant idea, useful as well as practical, but my only
> point of concern is how many of the college profs would look at this as a
> genuine project, cos they need to be convinced first. Also many students try
> to pick project with ready things and try to get away with no work, can
> there be an authority to judge the contribution of the students.

> *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
> imagination is more important then knowledge
> *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Well, if you see some of the HelpWanted pages usually you have stuff
like a Tracking system to be developed or some other repository
management system or some other kind of stuff, maybe writing some
specialized device driver stuff or something similar to that !!

AFAIK college professors won't have a problem, the problem is about "CHOICE"
see you are going to write the same code, the only difference bieng is
"THE IDEA"

so if the idea is good you can very easily convice some of the prof
and hopefully your problem is solved.

Also HelpWanted pages are not the only source of doing something in
GNU/LINUX or Opensource....

Lets say you like to develop some additional voice recognition module
for "EVOLUTION". so the emphasis is mainly on IDEA !!!

>Also many students try
> to pick project with ready things and try to get away with no work, can
> there be an authority to judge the contribution of the students.

Well, that actually depends on how they look at computer science, see
there are numerous ways in which we can do things, but the choice
again is "TO DO IT THE RIGHT WAY". see you can steal a piece of code
and solve an assignment but then somewhere later down the line you
would have to pay for that !!! So for those who really wanna learn and
understand new technology, new features i really don't see any
hindrance.

well as far as the judging is concerned, see the point is if you are
developing even 20 lines of code and it is bieng used by 1 million
people (the judging does not even come into picture). See software
should be something that WORKS !!! So, if 1 million people use it, the
joy is more than that of your professor giving you 80% in your
termwork ?? huh ??

So i conclude with "contributions happens primarily due to choice"

thank you !

Rohan Dighe
Fedora Ambassador India.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RohanDighe

--
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to
your grandmother.