[PLUG] Abt fedora core 6 DVD wid LFY...

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 00:43:06 IST 2006

> On 12/6/06, KAPIL <axn_kapil at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> > hi all,
> >          i read a mail, someone was sayin that DVD quality shipped wid Linux for you are not so good as compared to the PC quest megazine, is it true? cause i'm waiting for DEc 2006 isie of LFY for fedora core DVD,
> >        and will you plz tell me which megazine i should purchase Linux For you or PC Quest?

Go for PCQ, as LFY has an abysmal record with their CD/DVD quality.  I
am not sure how fast they would respond even in case you wanted to get
the DVD replaced if it was faulty.  Rather than being damaged in
transportation, I believe the discs themselves are of a very inferior
quality.  What would you expect anyway after considering the sort of
ad revenue they might be generating?

There is one problem with the PCQ DVD.  The magazine has labeled it
PCQXtreme, which under linux (FC6) gets mounted under /media, as
"PCQXtreme" with root-only privileges.  Only, the quotes are included
in the name, and the characters used for them are not the ones I have
written above.  They go something like \324 and \234 (or therebouts.
Check .hal-mtab on the DVD).

This creates a big problem when you try to replace the baseurl in
/etc/yum/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo with the path to the RPMS folder
on the DVD.  I am trying to put the whole path to the DVD as mounted
under the file:// url.

Results to follow.