[PLUG] VLSICOEP Course

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 19:26:17 IST 2006

Hi,

--- Varun Mehta <bambambhole at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you recommend some reads or links where one
> can follow up on the same.

1. I started with device drivers. So, I'd recommend
the approach based on my experience. You can try my
simple device driver examples:

http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads.html

2. Read Linux Device Drivers, 2nd or 3rd edition,
depending on which kernel you want to work on. Also
try out their examples (quite big).

3. Subscribe to kernelnewbies mailing list. You can
ask technical questions there.

4. Use a PII or PIII x86 system for testing. There is
no substitute for "hands-on" experience.

5. Come to #kernelnewbies on irc.oftc.net, where most
of the kernelnewbies mailing list members hang around.

6. You can also participate in kernel-janitors
project.

7. Never hesitate to ask questions. Questioning is
what is going to make you think and learn. Just
reading is not going to be of any help.

--- Atul Sowani <sowani at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried with
> uClinux without
> success.

The question really should be, "What you did and why
you failed?".

When you go through a learning curve, you are bound to
trip and fall, but, learning to get up is important
... learning to troubleshoot, understand what is
happening, and to find the solution to the problem.
Just giving it up is not going to take anyone higher.
This is what *real* education teaches students -
ability to think.

Embedded/OS development requires lot of patience and
it does take years to learn it.

Have fun,

SK

--