[PLUG] open source projects

Arindam arindam.mukerjee at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 14:27:23 IST 2006

On 12/21/06, Aditya Godbole <aag.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/21/06, YAGNESH N DESAI <ynd at hzw.ltindia.com> wrote:
> > Surly friends OpenSource is currently in demand
> > but most of the industry in and around Surat is not using it.
> > Like "L&T", "RIL", "Essar" are on M$ while
> > "Torrent power" is on Unix. (I am yet to see an Enterprise
> > on OpenSource I hardly found a user)
>
> Thats not what the whole point is about. Its not about who uses open
> source internally. A company is not going to look at open source
> contributions from prospective employees and college students so that
> they can effectively check their company mail on Unix.
> The question is whether they can make _more_ money by offering
> services and/or products based on open source software. The answer to
> that is very big, emphatic YES.

The power of OpenSource is in the inherent freedom of use ( of course
this is at different levels depending on the different licenses ). The
fact is that a very vast amount of OpenSource software is available
for direct use in a product offering of your own, which might even be
commercial. Of course, you cannot turn plain plagiarist and turn a
blind eye to what the open source licenses say - they still are
licenses. You especially have to look out for GPL-like licenses and
licenses which come from some of the open source stuff from Sun (don't
know the name for that licensing scheme).

What with Window$ and commercial *nix, you still can ship your
Postgres or MySQL databases with your own products for these
platforms. And there are N number of such examples of companies doing
it. Those are open source databases.

> --
> aditya
>
> --

Against stupidity, the very Gods themselves contend in vain --
Friedrich Schiller