[PLUG] Help on HDD

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Thu Jul 27 18:01:11 IST 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 16:34, Nikhil wrote:
> Hi All !
> I want to know that I have HDD having bad sectors in
> nearly about of 12MB. Can I use the HDD for linux OS?
> B'cos on windows it hangs the computer...
>   Please tell me if there is any soln. on this

If you install linux afresh, you can perform check before formatting a
partition. Otherwise, run badbocks on the partion first and then format the
partition with list of badblocks as input. e2fsck(ext2/ext3 creation)
integrates badblock checking but reiserfs does not.

But don't do that. Linux stresses hardware more than windows. A piece of
hardware that works on windows may fail on linux. I have seen that. And a bad
disk tends to develop more bad sectors a time goes by..

Choice is yours.

Regards
 Shridhar