[PLUG] Pls recommend distro for kids PC

yogesh ykchavan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 13:36:01 IST 2006

On 11/14/06, Makarand Mhaiskar <kaajoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A shelter for 8-10 kids where I do some volunteer work is using an old comp
> with Win98 on it. It's a Celeron 733MHz, 128 MB RAM but 1.2 GB hard disk and
> an old monitor that can do 800x600 max.
>
> I originally installed some games and a few funny videos for the kids, but
> nothing more due to lack of space. Recently, when I ran Knoppix live CD on
> it, I was amazed to see all the decent amount of s/w they have packed in
> there, and it's quite fast too. Ubuntu didn't do well. It was too slow to
> load and froze at one point. So I tried installing it but it said min space
> required was 1.8 GB or something so I gave up.
>
> My questions:
> 1. Do you know of a good distro that's lightweight (think 1.2 GB HD), but
> has enough stuff to keep the kids interested? Not just games but some
> educational s/w too.
> 2. Is FreeDuc a good option or is it too educational?
> 3. What do you think of running Knoppix Live CD all the time but writing
> files/config etc. to the hard disk? This is something I have thought of
> doing but didn't spend enough time to see if it can be done.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Makarand

Anand Kulkarni sir (PLUG member) did same efforts a year ago and we
found slackware is the best choice. You can even run kde on 64mb ram.
It has ncurses based installer and boots by-default in text mode. I
dont know about games. Most of the slackware games can be collected
from http://linuxpackages.net/

you can even try old slackware versions like 9.1 or 10.
--
yogesh chavan