[PLUG] Hyperthreading in Linux [Ajt Kulkarni]

Vivek Kutal vivek.kutal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 16:06:19 IST 2006

> Can any body please tell me how to know in HyperThreading is enabled in linux or not.

just cat /proc/cpuinfo  , here if u see info abt 2 processors then it
means that ht is enabled.

also if it is notenabled then is there any command in linux through
which I can enable hyper threading without having to shutdown

no

first you'll have to enable (if not already enabled) HT from bios  ,
then u need a kernel with smp support.
in ubuntu u can get a smp enabled kernel image by sudo apt-get install
linux-686-smp
google for the smp image file name for other distros
or u can compile a vanilla kernel and make sure u select SMP support
in menuconfig
(CONFIG_SMP=y in .config)

--
Thanks and Regards