[PLUG] separate partition for /home

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sun Sep 3 15:29:34 IST 2006

On Sunday 03 September 2006 12:32, Kunal Thakar wrote:
> Only lately did I realize that maintaining a separate partition for /home
> could solve my woes to a large extent. The question is that will it be
> necessary to remove all the hidden folders from /home like .gnome2, .gconf
> and all the rc files when I want to install a new distro? If I am
> installing a newer version of the same distro, is it ok to keep these files
> so as to preserve my settings?
> Are there any other disadvantages of keeping a separate /home partition?

Problem is that there is no guarantee that old settings will work, can be
migrated to newer/other version etc.

This is the single most disadvantage of /home on a separae partition.

I suggest you another approach. Keep all your data, in another partition and
blow away /home every time you reinstall. /home is not the only place a
non-root user can have access to..

 Shridhar