[PLUG] [OT]RE: Modem Help

Arindam arindam.mukerjee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 12:41:47 IST 2006

> On Tuesday 12 September 2006 11:46, Arindam wrote:
> > I heard that some of the "broadband" service providers in Pune are yet
> > to offer services in a form that is readily (or at all) usable under
> > Linux (read non-Windows). Not sure about this as I don't have
> > broadband at home.
>
> While this is true as in it does have essence of truth, lot of things work in
> Linux, albeit not easily as in windows for the first go(very important, if it
> works in linux it will keep working it your ISP damages itself by configuring
> something stupid, unlike in windows) but broadband in linux works, for the
> first time, about 50-60% of time and with efforts upto 80% of time..

Yes, and I guess that's the fun with Linux. These days, Linux seems to
support everything out of the box. It was a lot more fun when you had
to work real hard to make your devices work with Linux. I don't mind
the current state of affairs. But to get the same kind of kick, I put
FreeBSD on one of my boxes. But seems this is another kettle of fish
... still having fun.