[PLUG] DSL modem

Arindam arindam.mukerjee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 15:42:19 IST 2006

I am a little curious about a few more details. And it would be good
if we can extend the discussion in this forum itself.

> now if you've a monthly unlimited connection of either 128kbps or 256
> kbps then what u've with the connection is a router & not a modem. now
> TATA mostly provides connection in this way:
> * they'll lay cables directly to your place & then they'll attach a
> router to it & then through lan cable u can just plug it to your
> computer & use it.
>
> now if you have the same configuration then what you need to do is goto
> yast >> network card >> configure the ip, dns, gateway as per your
> static configuration which you can find out by typing 192.168.1.1 on
> your browser.

Which is the static configuration? Does Tata Indicom give you static
IPs. As far as I know no ISP in India does that.

If I have a Linux box sitting at the gateway of a LAN, for this
scenario, it needs to Network interfaces. The LAN facing interface
should have a static IP. But there is no guarantee that the ISP would
allow a static IP for the Internet facing interface. In this case, the
uplink IP (the IP associated with the internet facing NIC) is
variable. I am sure typing 192.168.1.1 will give you your IP address
and other details, but only for a particular session and period.

Cheers,
Arindam