[PLUG] Want help to design applications in QT

Rohan Dighe linuxdominatrix at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 10:11:12 IST 2007

On 1/29/07, Sheetal Pandita <sheetalpandita7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi everyone,
>                      I am sheetal pandita-a new member in your
> group.Wehave our
> *B.E *project Fedora Core 4 ,Kernel -2.6.We are proposing a tool SYSDRIVER
> INVENTORY  for dumping a computer's hardware information in a human readable
> and understandable format. This tool will give a description of the system's
> hardware components with complete details.We are using QT toolkit to develop
> this tool.We are reading the /proc directory through QT.We have many
> questions and doubts regarding the same.
> Can anyone help us out?
>
> 1.Can anyone explain How to work in Qt Designer?
> 2.We have a doubt regarding signals and slots.we are referring -Programming
> With QT O'Reilly Publications.Dalbemer M.
> 3.What all things are in built in Qt Designer?
> 4.How to read proc filesystem using Qt, and How to retrieve proc details in
> richtext Box?
> --

Well, i would be glad to answer your queries !

First of all i would like to know if you have seen similar softwares
which exist ??

If not, i would suggest you go to sf.net and take a look at some of
the projects of similar type! you will get a deep understanding abt
"how to read the devices.etc"

As far as QT is concerned it has its base completely on c++ and and is
really a very good library.

> 1.Can anyone explain How to work in Qt Designer?
Now, this is really a difficult question to answer through email ! to
tell you in short Qt designer is basically a gui enabled tool for
developing applications on QT
say a small example could be
you wanted to build a calculator, so QT gives you all the calls for
inserting buttons and textboxes, etc. but you have to write code for
everything !

If you use QT designer you will have to just drag and drop on to the
application and then just write the main logic in the code section !!

it is as simple as that !

i would highly recomend you to read the QT HELP which is in Fedora, it
is really very good and there are also examples !

> 2.We have a doubt regarding signals and slots.we are referring -Programming
> With QT O'Reilly Publications.Dalbemer M.

Well, if you could highlight more clearly what doubts you have i would
be glad to explain! If it's that you did not understand the whole
concept itself, again i would sugggest you read the QT help in fedora
or on the website !

>3.What all things are in built in Qt Designer?
Well, almost all the things that QT library provides is there in QT
designer, considering your application all the things that you need
will be there so you don't have to worry about that !

i mean you can build full fledge applications like kolor, kcalc etc..
those are simple ones but you can learn from them !!

> 4.How to read proc filesystem using Qt, and How to retrieve proc details in
> richtext Box?

Well, first try to use normal c++ and try to do that !!!
I would highly suggest you take help of someone's program if you have
no prior experience.. !!

At last only one suggestion don't directly jump to QT designer, you
have to learn the basic philosophy and how QT works only  then it
would be easy 4 u !

thank you,
-
Rohan Dighe
Fedora Ambassador India.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RohanDighe

--
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to
your grandmother.