[PLUG] Free Softwares for School

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 11:32:34 IST 2007

Why are we turning this into a flamewar and fulfilling the prophecies?
Sanity could have prevailed if we had only categorized software in the
following classes: crippled (shareware), gratis (freeware), non-GPL open
source, and GPLed, and in cases that were Windows-only, listed Linux
alternatives.

Still, my primary suggestion is to unequivocally suggest Edubuntu (or any of
your favourite distributions having an education flavour, if you have a good
point, but it will only fracture the original one).  It may have proprietary
drivers, but at least IS Linux.  It should be a good start for school
students, who needn't be exposed to politics so early.  Let them choose
gNewsense when they are able to decide for themselves.