[PLUG] GNU/Linux Awareness programme

sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 23:14:35 IST 2007

Hi,

On 7/11/07, Roshan <d_rosh2001 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> --- Anil Kumar wrote:
>

> > I want to learn Linux and get myself comfortable
> > with basic operations.
> > Please tell me what is the best way to achieve this.
>
> There are two ways, that I can think of, to achieve
> this. It depends on which is convenient to you.
>
> One: Download / Order / Ask this GNU/Linux User Group
> a GNU/Linux Distribution  - a LiveCD based - to get
> started without installing the OS on your HDD. Once
> you find out that /most/ hardware is compatible with
> that distribution you may choose to install it.
> Also, you could continue to use it as a LIVE CD though
> there will be a performance lag.
>
> One of the most famous LIVE CD based distribution
> based on Debian GNU/Linux is Knoppix.
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
>
> Refer the websites mentioned in below
>
> Two: Download / Order / Ask this GNU/Linux User Group
> a GNU/Linux Distribution such as Ubuntu Linux or
> Fedora 7. Find out about your hardware and check out
> if most hardware is compatible. Browse the web to find
> out how to install it.
>
> I had written a How-TO long time back for installing
> RedHat Linux 9. But, this article is more generic in
> sense and applicable to most distributions.
>
> http://db.glug-bom.org/wiki/index.php/For_Windows_Users:_Installing_Redhat_Linux_Part_I
>
> Browse few websites such as
> http://www.linuxcommand.org
> http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/
> (and a lots more - search using your favourite search engine)
>
> --
> FSF of India Associate Fellow - http://www.gnu.org.in
> http://www.somaiya.edu/sksasc
> ubunturos @ freenode

I would say attending our Awareness program is the best starting point.
We have not yet decided when to start a new batch.

We will declare the date on the list nand also on the website once we
schedule the same.
till that time, use other methods of learning like the ones mentioned above.

Best regards,
-- Sudhanwa

Have you tried the new "FREE" Marathi font "Aksharyogini" we have released?

News!! Aksharyogini font will now be available in debian Indic fonts package!!

Please get it from http://aksharyogini.sudhanwa.com
www.sudhanwa.com