[PLUG] source code of echo command...

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 12:33:14 IST 2007

On 7/27/07, Dhiraj Khot <dhiraj at augusttechnologies.com> wrote:
> Here is some information which should be useful for you:
> There are two source codes for echo command (This can be verified using simple basic command type)
> - Echo is a shell built in. So each shell has its own source code.
> - If a shell does not have a echo command, then Kernel uses its own source code. > And I believe this should be similar to locating source code of any other
> commands (like grep, etc). So should'nt be problem with that :)

Am I missing something here? What does the kernel have to do with the
echo command?? Or any command for that matter.

You should be able to get the source of echo built into the code of
the shell, since it is a builtin shell command.
Here is echo from the freebsd 'sh' shell.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/bin/sh/bltin/

Hope this helps.

-aditya