[PLUG] Dhule district adopted OPEN SOURCE

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 19:25:50 IST 2007

On 3/7/07, Anand Kulkarni <kulk_anand at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can download these contents from
> http://svs.org.in/Downloads.html
>
> Thus we are spreading open source concept in the Dhule
> district. The project is going very smooth. The
> response is also very good. And by the end of April
> 2007, we expect to complete the training of all 583
> school teachers.
>
> I may also add here that the Dhule is the first
> district in Maharashtra, which is perfomring such
> large scale trachers training. Since, this model is
> successful, the state government is willing to
> replicate the same model in all districts of the
> state. Naturally, they have agreed to use our open
> source CDs in all districts of the state.
>
> I think its a major achievement for open source
> community.
>
> If you want to give us any inputs please feel free to
> do that.

This is really great news.  Some time ago, Bill Gates seemed to have almost
won over the State's education machinery with his largesses, so this is a
double whammy.  I noticed from the website that the packages are all Linux
versions.   What flavour of the OS is being used in the Dhule -and other
schools?

Further, could you share some of the experiences you have had with the
schools, teachers, students and of course the State's Education Dept.
machinery, as well as the challenges you have faced?  This could prove to be
a model for replication in other States as well.

This should be on Slashdot.