[PLUG] dell 1390 wireless with mandriva..

guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:24:23 IST 2007

Great....

your suggestion got me thinking again and i used
/sbin/ifup wlan0
to get wireless interface up and then down as a part of checking.
After chaning making it ad-hoc and "penguin" [instead of "foo"]

I think now with this I am able to get ifce as I can see the following
output of "/sbin/ifconfig"
wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:19:7D:BD:72:B5
          inet addr:192.168.10.51  Bcast:192.168.10.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:19 Memory:d0200000-d0204000

eth0 and lo are also there but I just cut them out of this output...

with "kwifimanager" if I try to scan for network, it returns that
nothing found.  Maybe... maybe I have a question... should i be
changing the frequency of my wifi card assuming it can be changed from
settings.

I also have following question... my wifi light does not become on,
and "link ready" message does not come under "dmesg" but "link not
ready" no more comes on so it looks like interface is also UP.

your suggestion of setting up anothe unit with same settings is good
but right now I do not have another unit to setup.  So I will inquire
about any settings with admin who has that wifi router.  Last time I
inquired the response was **automatic** :-)  "Oh..! you don't have to
do any setting under windows, just choose automatic for most options
under windows and everything will work, give static IP and your TCP/IP
settings seem correct"

{Thanks for stirring my grey cells into thinking on this and for
valuable suggestions.}

--
"arise, wake and stop not till the goal is reached" loose translation
of saying by स्वामी विवेकानंद