[PLUG] Please suggest software(s) for data backup on DVD+R.

Shantanoo Mahajan shantanoo at gmail.com
Mon May 28 01:17:24 IST 2007

On 27-May-07, at 6:32 PM, Atul Sowani wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using slackware linux 9.1 on P3 machine. I have LG DVD writer
> capable of writing DVD+R disks. I am trying to backup my data (~4GB)
> on it using xcdroast as front end. I am using cdrecord.prodvd as
> backend. The problem I am facing is that I am unable to backup the
> data as there seems to be a maximum limit of 1GB of write data for
> cdrecord. I don't have any key for cdrecord.prodvd either. I am using
> xcdroast version 0.98alpha15 and cdrtools version 2.01.01.
>
> Could somebody please suggest me:
> 1. How can I make cdrecord work with 4GB data?
> 2. Is there any alternate software for linux which will allow me to
> back up full 4GB worth of data?
>
> Thanks,
> Atul.

AFAIK, cdrecord does not work for burning DVDs. You need to try
'growisofs' program. It comes with dvdrwtools(?) package.

Following the rpm:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/2301189/com/dvd+rw-
tools-5.21.4.10.8-0.pm.0.i586.rpm.html

For slack:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/
slackware_source/ap/dvd+rw-tools/

Disclaimer: I have not tested whether rpm/source works properly.

शंतनु