[PLUG] Re: Please suggest software(s) for data backup on DVD+R.

Atul Sowani sowani at gmail.com
Tue May 29 18:34:15 IST 2007

On 5/29/07, Vikas Garud <vikas at techqual.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 May 2007 13:42, Atul Sowani wrote:
> > Gentlemen,
> >
> > Thank you for all the replies. I will try the software(s) suggested by
> > use. I don't think k3b is of much use to me as it is just a front-end
> > for cdrecord.
>
> The "About K3b" under "Help" menu identifies K3b as "A CD and DVD Burning
> software".  The menu items under File > New Projects provide variuous options
> for DVD projects.  May be, the K3b team should be taken to task for
> mis-representing the facts.  (I haven't had any opportunity to burn DVD's
> yet, otherwise i'd have done the honours!)

Don't assume anything just because the menu shows something. It could
just be GUI wrapper which just calls appropriate programs in the
background! A quick search on google gives following information:

"The actual disc recording in K3b is done by the command line
utilities cdrecord, cdrdao, and growisofs."

Probably you need to try (at least) to rip a DVD on Linux first.

> > On the side note, I believe (sadly though) this is what Linux lacks in
> > DVD-backup as compared to a particular Redmond originated popular
> > windowing OS - availability, ease of configuration and ease of use. No
> > insult intended.
>
> Your experiences with inability to use K3b for burning DVD's would have
> strongly supported your claim about "availability, ease of configuration and
> ease of use".  As of now, it is hearsay at best.

Instead of trying to hit me back, just suggest me a package which I
can download, (possibly compile), install and start using right away.