[PLUG] DVD to cds conversion

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 10:17:21 IST 2007

On Tuesday 06 Nov 2007, ಓಂ wrote:
> Is there a way to make distribution CDs out of (from) the Linux
> distribution DVD?

CDS->DVD script is available for openSUSE; not heard of the other way
around.  Given that price diffrential between CD/CDRW and
CD/CDRW-DVDROM is not much, I would recommend to go with the latter.

> If so, is it safe to use that method for creating CDs and doing
> installation?

Distro dependent, will require knowledge of essential packages that need
to be in CD1 to do a minimal install and allow seamless update to other
packages, esp. framework related like kde/gnome etc.).  When an user
wants to do it, all it's packages and dependencies should be on the
same media or already installed in the system.

Side note: network install is an option (using a friend's system with
DVD); most distros support this option.

Not sure if this will work; just a thought: one can also try copying
the / hierarchy from a LiveCD to a hard disk partition.  Install grub
etc. and see if it works.  Ubuntu, Freespire already support this mode.

-- Arun Khan