[PLUG] Celeron vs Pentium?

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Fri Oct 26 10:46:00 IST 2007

On Friday 26 Oct 2007 10:31:45 Makarand Mhaiskar wrote:
> i would like to know your *experience, not just opinion* of using celeron
> (or sempron for that matter) for not-so-heavyweight development. pls also
> share ur experience with AMD processors. do they really get hot??

I *had* celeron once( looong time back) and it really is not even good for
browsing a flash laden site. Get pentium for anything serious.

I *have* 2 machines with athlon XP processors and they are not as hot as some
of the pentiums. Code 2 duo processors are lot cooler is what I *hear*. Key
thing to keep a CPU cool is getting good CPU fan, proper thermal paste and
having a case that has front ventilation fins as well.

Get athlon XP X2 or whatever latest. Last time I got a quote in April, I could
get CPU+mobo(7500/-) for less than price of P4 CPU(8500/-). *YMMV*.

HTH

 Shridhar