[PLUG] Please sign the petition against Microsoft's Office OpenXML becoming an ISO standard

Vivek Khurana hiddenharmony at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:27:31 IST 2007

On 10/31/07, ಓಂ <guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quite frankly I do not understand how stopping somebody else from
> applying for a new standard or protocol for exchange of information
> help me improve or attain my freedom....

 Well read the online petition it clearly defines the pitfalls to be
faced with adoption of OOXML. Two major reasons being
1) Bad quality of the document
2) no guarantee that anybody can write software that fully or
partially implements the OOXML specification without being liable to
patent lawsuits or patent license fees by Microsoft

 Also, OOXML seems to be an attempt by M$ to take vendor lockin to new
level. M$ has not been able to explain what are the issues in
endorsing ODF ? Why M$ is not natively support ODF in the office suite

 Questions are many...

regards
VK