[PLUG] Mail Server Coparission

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 13:36:11 IST 2007

On Wednesday 05 September 2007 10:57, Ebrahim A. Senejani wrote:
> I'm searching for a present (or even a document) which compares Linux
> Mail Servers with Windows Mail Server (specially MS Exchange).

MS Exchange is a 800 lb. gorilla that does more than just email.  If you
are just looking for a SMTP/POP3 server then a comparison with MS
Exchange is unfair.  You also do not mention how many users you want to
support on this server.

On Linux, postfix/exim/qmail/sendmail will give you SMTP; dovecot will
give you pop3 (dovecot supports mailbox names like
first.last at example.com).  Postfix is fairly easy to setup, same is true
for dovecot.  For virus scanning you will have to configure ClamAV.

All of the above come packaged in the Linux distros with no per user or
domain lic. cost.  You will need to install them and configure them.

This is FYI: on Win32 platform, I have had good experience with MDaemon
(sp?).  It does SMTP/POP3 with integrated virus scanner and sig.
updates from the ISV.  Setup is fairly easy, the wizard asks a few
questions about domain, users etc. and you are done. It is *not* free.

> I need advantages of Linux ;)
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder :)

HTH
-- Arun Khan