[PLUG] Re: Error booting GeeXboX off USB HDD (LiveUSB)

Vishal Rao vishalrao at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 21:17:54 IST 2007

On 9/15/07, Vishal Rao <vishalrao at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get the GeeXboX 1.1 i386 ISO to boot off (not install) a
> 8GB USB HDD.

Nevermind. Got it working by installing rather than trying to manually
try it with syslinux.

Baked a CD with the ISO, booted off it then installed onto the USB HDD.

You must select/enter all config options and not leave it to the
defaults else the install fails with "too few parameters" or
something. Clicking "no" to "do you want to config your networking"
thinking it would pick the defaults was a problem. I clicked "yes",
picked the defaults anyway and 2 new config menus came up, for
language and remote control, then the install went fine.

Even if I selected syslinux it would install that with grub and boot
off grub anyway which is a minor annoyance.

Now I have a 8gb USB HDD which boots a PC into a home theatre with
space for about 10 movies on it. Mission accomplished :-)

--
"Thou shalt not follow the null pointer for at it's end madness and chaos lie."