[PLUG] Need Help: Sify Vs Linux

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Tue Aug 5 09:56:13 IST 2008

Hi,

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 09:29:12 Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> I posted this a while ago, I am facing a strange problem for the last 15
> days. I can not browse the Internet though Linux, where as it works well if
> I do it through the 'now' discarded Windows XP. The problem is sometime
> Linux does connect me to the Internet. At the same time I can use Pidgin
> etc and other Bittorent clients to download distros, but cant browse the
> Internet.. Another amazing thing is, while I cannt open any other site,
> Microsoft.com opens in a second...so what could be the issue?

DNS I guess. Usually ISP DNS servers are not worth describing. Install a
caching dns server like dnsmasq, point your resolv.conf to it and use
something like opendns(http://www.opendns.com/) as your upstream servers.

Can you ping their dns servers or microsoft.com for that matter.?

> My hardware is OK as it could connect to the net through Windows, My distro
> is OK as it does connect to net some times (don't forget seamless
> connectivity to chat and torrents). Also I have tried other distros, apart
> from my primary Ubuntu --- Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mandriva and many more...

If it is DNS issue, it is not big enough to warrant a distro. change. Try
using opendns first, caching or not. If that helps, use a caching server to
speed up the queries. It makes amazing difference in latencies.

--
 Shridhar