[PLUG] Troubleshooting date and hwclock

rakesh zingade rakeshzingade at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 12:13:41 IST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 5:56 AM, Santosh Dawara <sdawara at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear PLUG,
>
> I need help troubleshooting a Linux RedHat (Centos 4.4) installation. I am
> not sure if the problem is with the OS or with the Hardware clock (CMOS).
>
> The "date" command returns the incorrect time.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. Set the Linux date/time correctly,
> 2. One week later, the clock has fallen behind by around 5 - 10minutes and
> has to be reset.
>
> On running the following commands, I have pasted the output
>
> *# hwclock -r
> Thu 11 Oct 2007 03:19:50 PM IST  -0.015928 seconds
> *
> The hwclock reading is 5 minutes behind time.
>
> *# date
> Thu Oct 11 15:14:58 IST 2007
> *
> The date command shows 10 minutes behind time.
>
> The contents of my */etc/sysconfig/clock
>
> ZONE="Asia/Calcutta"
> UTC=false
> ARC=false
> *
> I am *not* running a Network time server or using the NTP service.
>
> Any help debugging/troubleshooting the issue would be great. I'm not sure
> what I am doing wrong.
>
> Best Regards,
> Santosh Dawara
> --
> visit me at http://www.sukshma.net
> --

I am not sure what went wrong but have you tried to set date to correct
local time?

>The hwclock reading is 5 minutes behind time.
>The date command shows 10 minutes behind time.

Try to set date to local time by executing 'date' command with -s option.
Once system date is finalized then set the hwclock to system date.

If above doesn't work then there may be a problem with BIOS battery.

--
Rakesh P. Zingade
+919420357790