[PLUG] Why support mono/moonlight?

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 22:55:21 IST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 3:51 PM, Anoop John <anoopjohn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > C# is the most advanced language (AFAIK). Why don't we have it on linux. We
> > know that open source implementations are better that proprietary
> > implementation (performance/memory usage,...).
> Why did you say that C# is the most advanced language? What is it that
> makes it better than C++? Aren't most of the differences because of
> the .net framework?

There are lots of merits of the C# language that make it serious
competition to Java, C++ and other languages that we've all used so
far.

At Thoughtworks, the growing feeling is that we're able to accomplish
more with C# than with Java, and based on the clean code that I see my
colleagues produce, I'm starting to get convinced. These are desktop
and web service applications being put to use by customers from early
on in the development cycle, and the developers have used Java in the
past on equally demanding projects. I have heard these developers talk
about features such as delegates, etc, but haven't really explored c#
myself. I'd dabbled once with some interesting notions of transmitting
objects (.NET remoting) but that's it.

Here's more info on the c # language  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp

The breadth of the library is a separate matter, and there, too .NET
has much to offer. Again, my Java+.NET colleagues tell me that they
find the .NET offerings to be more comprehensive.

As a developer, I use Java and a little bit of Ruby, and have written
COM components in the past for a living. I am considering looking at
C# as the next language to have in my toolkit of languages.

-- Sriram