[PLUG] FOSS contributors from Pune

ഓം guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 13:23:20 IST 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Salil Bijur <salilbijur at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 5:59 PM, ഓം <guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> so why don't we write about others who we think are doing good work
>> and encourage the actual doer's to say a little bit once the name gets
>> nominated by others than themselves!
>
> For the simple reason that a contributer himself knows best about his
> contribution than anyone else, like you dont know what FOSS contribs I
> have made and I dont know what you have contributed.
> The idea is not to praise/self-praise, but to inform.
>
> Cheers,
> Salil

Please excuse the way I am writing the next few lines, but I could not
find the better way to express..

"If Developer knew what users want, without the interaction of user
community, then M$ is correct in the way they treat users... but i
think things are different here in many way and one of that ways is
software is being developed based on user needs and preferences most
of the times" and this approach of I know what is the best way to
contribute has the same flaws that are generally best avoided.

Contributor is the best person to talk about his contribution only
after users have found that he has been contributing in whatever way
to the community!  There is no denying that.. but other way round does
not make much sense to me, maybe it will make to others in which case
Bharat... democrazy we vote, you win!

So your point is valid however still invalid from the point of view of
suggestion I made.