[PLUG] FOSS contributors from Pune

sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 14:32:34 IST 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 5:59 PM, ഓം <guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:33 PM, sudhanwa Jogalekar
> <sudhanwa.com at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> We will be adding a section on the PLUG website mentioning FOSS
>> contributors from Pune and their work.
>> This will include individuals as well as companies/organisations too.
>>
>> We would like to invite such contributors (and representatives of
>> companies/organisations) to attend the next PLUG meeting (on 7th June)
>> and talk about their contributions. They can tell about the projects
>> they work on, the growth path for the project, if they need any help
>> and more contributors etc.
>>
>> Please confirm your participation/session to me so that I can prepare
>> the agenda accordingly.
>>
>> Contributors, please send synopsis of your work to the webmaster so
>> that it can be updated on the website.
>>
>> Some examples:
>> Karunakar( http://indlinux.org ) : IndLinux project
>> Sarvanngin vikas Sanstha ( http://svs.org.in/Downloads.html ): OO.o
>> documentation in local languages.
>>

>> Thanks to Mukund Joglekar for suggesting this idea. We were not able
>> to execute this for a long time. Lets work on it now.
>>
>> Best regards
>> -Sudhanwa Jogalekar
>
> Beg to differ on the implementation of the idea wonly...
>
> Like Pandurang Shastri Athavale once mentioned in Japan (during the
> world religious conference or something), we don't have a tradition of
> self praise (& unless the things have drastically in last 60 years)...
> so why don't we write about others who we think are doing good work
> and encourage the actual doer's to say a little bit once the name gets
> nominated by others than themselves!  This will atleast help PuneLug
> compile a list of people who are actively contributing and then take
> the next logical step...  that of finding out people who are not doing
> the talk (something equivalent of **talking the walk**)...
>
> Anyatha...
>
> अगोदरच पुण्यातील लोकांना स्वतःबद्दल फारसे बरेवाईट बोललेलं आवडत नाही,
> त्यांच्यावर ही बळजवरीच ठरेल :-)

If the contributor feel that their entry should not be there, it is
their choice and we will not add their entry. . We are not forcing
anyone to get listed on the page. Its their own choice. Possibly, we
can mention that some contributors have chosen not to get listed and
we respect their freedom.

You rightly said, "अगोदरच पुण्यातील लोकांना स्वतःबद्दल फारसे बरेवाईट
बोललेलं आवडत नाही"
However, the feedback we get from various people says that we do work
silently and remain low profile. And it is needed that PLUG promotes
and gets more visible.

Personally, I agree with your views but it seems that we have to built
up some more visibility, credibility etc. etc.. and I feel that this
is the right way to do it.

Let us have some discussion on this in the PLUG meeting.

regards
-Sudhanwa

www.sudhanwa.com