[PLUG] Unable to install Ubuntu 8.04

vijay patil vijay.patil at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 11:06:46 IST 2008

Dr Jayant,

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Jayant Kairi <jayantkairi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I requested and received Ubuntu 8.04 CD from Cannonical Inc  and installed
> it on my office and home desktop. However, when I am tying to install it on
> my HCL Laptop, it is not installing. Once the installation within windows
> failed to give me the login window, I tried the Live operating system, which
> also did not succeed (I did not get the desktop).
>
> At the beginning of the installation, I noted this message--
>
> [ 41.011805 ] PCI: BIOS BUG #81[49435000] found
>
> My Laptop is HCL K-19 Model bought in Apr 2007 with Dual core, 512MB RAM and
> 120GB Hard disk.

Not sure I understand exact problem you are facing. Here is my input
worth 2 cents.

First thing you could try is get Ubuntu Live CD working on your
laptop. It does NOT matter if previous attempt to install Ubuntu
failed. I assume you know enough about Live CDs, if not please refer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiveCD. You may have to tweak Laptop's
BIOS so that when it is started it first searches CD-ROM and tries to
boot from it (i.e. starts live CD). See:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=102087

"After you have the CD, make sure that your system is configured to
boot from CD. This is the default behavior for many newer systems, but
you may have to go into BIOS and change your boot sequence. Check your
PC or motherboard manual or the manufacturer's web site for
instructions"

Let me know if you have any question about configuring BIOS.

As far as error message " [ 41.011805 ] PCI: BIOS BUG #81[49435000]
found" is concerned, please refer to thread below and see it you get
any idea about possible problem.

Vijay Patil