[PLUG] Let us Discuss LinTops ( Linux Compatible Computers ) !

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Tue Jun 24 17:59:09 IST 2008

On Tuesday 24 Jun 2008 16:57:39 TOM_C_A_T Floss wrote:
> " Dell " is nice brand to own when you use Linux. (especially ubuntu),
>
> has fully supported drivers,
>
> customized hardware options ( @ the time of purchase ),
>
> nice ubuntu community support as well as Dell community support.

I recently bought compaq F733 laptop, with freedos preinstalled. Wiped it
clean and installed arch linux.

sound/networking/encrypted installation/wide screen resolution with
accelarated opengl(sorry binary nvidia drivers) etc.  webcam worked in first
shot with linux-uvc. Just opened kopete and I was staring at myself.

Suspend works, hibernate not tried. Battery life is about 2.5-3 hours
estimated.. never drained it to death.

Only thing I have not tried is wireless network. I don't have one.

Overall, I can recommend it heartily. for about 35000/- including 3 years
hardware warranty and 2GB RAM upgrade, it is a good buy.
--
Shridhar