[PLUG] Un Copying!! :-)

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 18:27:51 IST 2008

On Tuesday 24 Jun 2008, ഓം wrote:

> I wanted to clear a doubt about usual propoganda of buying genuine
> and original software that many people tend to hear when they are
> switching to Linux from Windows world...

I have never heard of "Genuine" RHEL or Novell/SuSE or <name the distro>
in all the years I have used Linux (from 1995).

Although the incumbent desktop majority holder does use the word but it
is in the context of lic. v/s unlic. versions.  IMO, nothing to do with
the source being the original, the binary derived .... yaddi, yaddi,
yadda (your original post)

Honestly, your posts are convoluted and I feel lost by the time I have
read the last sentence :(   Please simplify your message if you want to
get your point across.  Over the years I have learnt that you need to
talk in the language that your audience understands o/w no point.

> Usually I end up spending 15 minutes telling people about how it is
> perfectly legal to copy Linux OS (distribution) and that costs me my
> time.  So sending such mail once in a while ensures any new comers
> become aware of such nontrivial trivialities!!

Good point but ensure your message is understood by the recipient, o/w
your effort goes to 0.

> It's interesting to
> note that most Linux veterans develop lack of such passion once they
> cross certain level...

Not necessarily, one learns to channel our time/energy into actionable
items and promote/advocate open source where there is a chance of it
succeeding.  Speaking for myself, I don't pursue leads that simply keep
asking for information and are not willing to do a pilot (at a min.).

--
Arun Khan