[PLUG] Let us Discuss LinTops ( Linux Compatible Computers ) !

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sat Jun 28 11:47:07 IST 2008

On Saturday 28 Jun 2008 11:19:50 Pranav Peshwe wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 4:28 AM, श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर <
>
> ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net> wrote:
> > God forbid if machines are bundled with freebsd :)
>
> Hey, its not that bad :) Rather, its good, and is improving day by day.

I didn't mean freebsd was bad. I meant imagine what it would do to OP's usage
of 'other than linux'. :)

I have used freebsd and frankly didn't find it better enough to warrant a
switch from slackware. :) This was 4.8. Tried 6.2 but didn't have a pressing
need for switch.

Besides linux kernel has had better threading since ages.

For a plus to freebsd, it is the most gnome clean system I had seen that time.
But slackware managed it soon as well ;). This wasn't a pressing requirement
but I can't stand GNOME.(Come on, what DM does not have a shutdown/reboot
button? Slackware GNOME i.e. vanilla one didn't have one but redhat one did.
WTH?)

> Also, for someone who primarily uses the GUI, it rarely matters whether the
> under-running kernel is a BSD or Linux.

Actually freeBSD offered me a 'doesn't matter whats underneath' experience
before linux albeit not by much in terms of time and features. Linux needed
some tweaks for sound cards I used but BSD just worked.

Again for me, they differ by a hair's margin and choice is mostly
preferential.

--
Shridhar