[PLUG] Need LiveCD for Students to learn C

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 00:50:16 IST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Desi Penguin <desipenguin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions for LiveCD that suits following setup.
>
> 1. Boot from the linux LiveCD.
> 2. connect your USB thumb drive to access your C assignments program.
> 3. Open Vi/Editor to write new code. Save code onto the thumb drive.
> 4. compile your programs using gcc
> 5. IDE is bonus but not mandatory.

Digressing a bit - how about _not_ allowing an IDE at all ? IMHO, using a
console based editor is an important and essential skill when operating *nix
kind of OSes. Also, using IDEs right from the beginning will keep the
student in dark about what goes into compiling and debugging a program. And
even more important - the student might develop a feeling that,
compiling/debugging without the IDE is something very difficult and involved
(which is not at all the case). I realized this after talking to some engg.
students who had never used the command line to compile their programs. The
downside of not using an IDE will be - the instructor/supervisor might have
to answer more queries about the development process rather than the code
written :-s

My 2 cents...
Comments welcome.

Best regards,