[PLUG] Kernel Compile

Mehul Ved mehul.n.ved at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 05:35:23 IST 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:57:11AM +0530, prabhleen singh Enjoying in Pune wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

>     I am making livecd's  of Linux and  now I want to recompile my kernel
> with some extra softwares,
>     so that when I will make livecd's of that kernel all packages would
> already included, therefore then I
>     don't have to add extra packages...
>     I just want to know how can I compile my kernel what tools will be
> used...
>     If there is any website then pls give me somelink...

There are lots of links if you search for "compile linux kernel" on your
favourite search engine.
You don't need any extra tools,
download the required kernel source
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig or make xconfig to start with configuration process
Once done you can type
make clean && make modules && make && make install
One link that I got from search results
http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/202/1/
Also, it would be helpful if you tell us which distro it is, that will
be useful as there are certain packages that help you make deb, rpm, etc
of the newly compiled kernel. That will make your task easier.

--
   Susie: You'd get a good grade without doing any work.
   Calvin: So?