[PLUG] Fedora 9 (Sulphur) Released

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 15 12:45:14 IST 2008

Manas Alekar wrote:
> *This is not a smart comment.*
> Why did Fedora chose to go the yum way instead of using apt with rpm ? Apt
> is quite matured. I use Fedora and Debian on a regular basis, and somehow,
> apt seems way mature than yum.
>
> I can understand the spirit of doing it again, and doing it in python for
> porting elegance, but it has been a long time now, and I still do not feel
> as comfortable doing a yum install on a server as I feel doing a apt-get.
>
> Then again, I might be blinded by prejudice.

There isn't any technical reasons specified for your choices but there
are for current defaults:

* Red Hat Linux with RPM was first released a decade or so ago. Fedora
is a extension/continuation of that.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/History

Switching RPM to another package manager would break the upgrade path
and essentially lose out all the tools and collective expertise the
community has learned around that. RPM as a format also supports a
number of additional features including multi-lib, file based
dependencies, triggers etc which .deb doesn't have either deliberately
or because they are in development etc.

Red Hat and the community around it uses python extensively (anaconda,
system-config-* tools etc). Red Hat Linux used to include up2date as a
automatic dep resolver which was written in python. When the move
towards Fedora was initiated, yum was a much more obvious choice since
it shared a similar technology and even the same code in some instances
and apt-rpm was unmaintained, lacked support for multi-lib and has a lot
of legacy c++ code.

Yum itself is written in python but the core code is still RPM in C used
via its python bindings. So we get the best of both worlds with core
efficiency and performance of C with the easy maintenance, portability
etc of python. This has resulted in yum supporting a number of
additional features including plugins and a API which is easily reused
in other system software including anaconda, livecd-tools etc which are
either not available or way more difficult in other dep resolvers.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/Apt

Note that apt-rpm itself is now maintained by the same Red Hat developer
maintained rpm.org upstream and now supports the same repository format
(repomd) as yum and is available in Fedora along with synaptic if you
prefer that. Smart is also available in the repo.

# yum info apt

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Available Packages
Name       : apt
Arch       : i386
Version    : 0.5.15lorg3.94
Release    : 3.fc9
Size       : 1.0 M
Repo       : fedora

People tend to frequently confusing different technologies. If you are
comparing Fedora and Debian at the packaging level.

RPM format             ~= .deb format
RPM tool               ~= dpkg tool
yum, apt-rpm resolvers ~= apt-get resolver

Hope that helps.

Rahul