[PLUG] Fedora 9 (Sulphur) Released

Vidyadhar Gadgil vgadgil at gmail.com
Fri May 16 10:26:56 IST 2008

> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Fedora 9 (Sulphur) Released

> *This is not a smart comment.*
> Why did Fedora chose to go the yum way instead of using apt with rpm ? Apt
> is quite matured. I use Fedora and Debian on a regular basis, and somehow,
> apt seems way mature than yum.

This is one viewpoint I agree with. I used apt on Fedora 3, but
when I switched to Fedora 5, apt had been discontinued, and I was
forced to switch to yum. Yum was terribly buggy (and the Fedora
mirrors are terribly slow), and this was the main reason why I
abandoned Fedora and switched to debian.

Maybe yum is more elegant now, but it was a disaster at that time
(and so were front-ends like yumex, pirut and pup). The elegance
and ease-of-use of apt (and front-ends like synaptic and aptitude)
is  difficult to match.

Of course, Rahul has given a variety of technical reasons (which
are Geek to me :-), and says that apt and synaptic are now
available again in Fedora, and that yum is much improved. So maybe
this rant is outdated.

--
Question everything -- Karl Marx