[PLUG] Firmware, tainted code etc [was Re: [X-Post] [ilugd] linux-libre kernel. fork?]

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Wed May 28 16:12:23 IST 2008

Hi,

This topic has numerous aspects e.g. an open firmware allows to boost powers
of wireless signals which violates FCC mandates and can cause problems. Other
than burrying it in binary blob(worse than a hex dump), there is no other
effective measure.

More importantly, tainted kernels are illegal and that is an accepted fact.
Just that kernel developers don't go after every tainted kernel, does not
make them any less legal.

Furthermore the link cited, http://jebba.blagblagblag.org/?p=244, shows hex
dump of firmware which is perfectly fine I think. The values are out there
for anybody to use there and an open source driver illustrates how to use
them too. How it is not open source, is beyond me.

The kernel is GPLed, but the firmware may not be.

Shridhar