[PLUG] Firmware, tainted code etc [was Re: [X-Post] [ilugd] linux-libre kernel. fork?]

ഓം guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com
Thu May 29 09:49:08 IST 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर wrote:
>> The kernel is GPLed, but the firmware may not be.
>
> There is in fact a potential license violation here. Refer "mere
> aggregation" clauses in the license.
>
> Rahul

There is either a violation (though with some perception and point of
view) or there is no legal violation (with some other perception and
point of view) but that can be *no* **potential violation**.

If you prefer could take a look at what makes you think there *is* potential!

This related to electronics and things that are used for electrons!
So effect of the word *potential* also needs to be taken into account
(albeit in some point of view)  and taking that it into account... one
could easily argue that what you are probably calling is a barrier, so
enough potential will cross over the barrier and make the electrons
flow as they need to appropriately...

So saying there is potential violation is like saying I have a
potential to go to court of law against you... which could even be
interpreted as an implied threat (which many times can be potentially
called *blackmail*, if used by the beneficiary parties)

Hope this does not potentially create and spread मोरे
misunderstanding... this is written in a (cape of good) hope to
clarify misgivings about use of, and pertaining to, legal words...

कायद्याचं बोला!