[PLUG] Firmware, tainted code etc [was Re: [X-Post] [ilugd] linux-libre kernel. fork?]

ഓം guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com
Thu May 29 10:12:27 IST 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> ഓം wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Rahul Sundaram
>> <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>>> There is in fact a potential license violation here. Refer "mere
>>> aggregation" clauses in the license.
>>>
>>> Rahul
>>
>> There is either a violation (though with some perception and point of
>> view) or there is no legal violation (with some other perception and
>> point of view) but that can be *no* **potential violation**.
>>
>> If you prefer could take a look at what makes you think there *is*
>> potential!
>
> Since I am not a lawyer, I can only talk about potential violations. I
> already gave a hint. Read the license. In brief, if something is derived
> from a GPL'ed licensed codebase it should be under the same license too. The
> firmwares files in the kernel certainly is not GPL'ed. If there is clear
> separation, then the mere aggregation clause applies. That isn't the case
> atleast in some instances since the driver is closely tied to the firmware
> and vice versa.
>
> Rahul

Whosoever calls for *clear separation*  (i think) has a burden upon
self to define what is *clear* and what is *separation* and also what
is *clear separation*  as it applies to the work giving enough
examples on both the sides...

{i have a feeling such a thing may not be even existing.... if they
are..... let them rest in peace till one goodself has time to read the
tombstone!}

for clarity's sake and, so as not to confuse already confused people
more... i will take *rest* for now on this thread!