[PLUG] Bloat

Kapil Kaisare kksm19820117 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 22:48:52 IST 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Aditya Godbole <aag.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just got thinking for a moment today about the amount of memory that
> our computer systems today use. Of course, if you are a 'computer
> scientist' you can safely ignore this and say you have infinite
> memory.
> Anyway, for the other mortals, I remember I had a P1 with 16 MB RAM
> and 32 MB swap space. I could run X, a window manager like afterstep,
> a mail program like sylpheed, xchat, xmms, emacs and gcc at the same
> time without any issues. The computer would start thrashing sometimes,
> but it was few and far between. The point is 48 MB memory was quite
> sufficient.
> I had a look at my memory usage today and with a very minimal
> configuration it goes to 250 MB. Firefox takes 75 MB of resident
> memory! Pidgin takes about 30 MB. Konsole takes about 20 MB. Is it
> that all the libs have become bloated? Is it the apps themselves? When
> exactly did all of us become computer scientists? :)
>
> -aditya

Greetings.

Your system need not be as bloated as you say it is.

I run an XUbuntu setup, having replaced XFCE with Xmonad. I use mc as my
file manager, vim for most editing tasks, Firefox 3 for webwork, and a few
other programs.

You can imagine how quickly it runs on my 1GB DDR SDRAM, AMD 2000XP+ system.
:)

We choose our programs well. We differentiate between programs that are user
friendly and those that are idiot friendly.

Most of us, anyway.

> --

Kaisare, Kapil Sadashiv