[PLUG] Fedora 9 valued at $10.8B

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 11:37:01 IST 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Aditya Godbole wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Rahul Sundaram
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> "Have you got some loose change in your pocket, and dreams of building a
>>> better operating system? It would take about 25 years, nearly 60,000
>>> developer-years, and $10.8B to re-create a distribution like Fedora 9,
>>> according to a new report from the Linux Foundation. "
>>>

>> The value is equal to the cost? Great!
>
> Nah. You got to read the entire report for caveats on how the
> calculation works.

All I saw on the site was the cost of making a software collection like Fedora.
Here is the conclusion on the report -
"Using this approach, we estimate that it would take $10.8 billion to
develop the Linux distribution Fedora 9 by traditional proprietary
means in year 2008 dollars."

I don't think thats the value.

-aditya