[PLUG] Suggested laptop for linux

Mandar Vaze mandarvaze at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 11:02:13 IST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Kapil Agrawal <kapil.agl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Not sure, maybe a more regular question.
>
> I am looking out to buy a new laptop (as my thinkpad R60 hangs a lot on
> linux & its 3 years old now) . My primary OS will always be linux , (ubuntu
> specially).
> My main concern is only that its should be very comfortable to use
> (especially keyboard) like the thinkpad. Looks doesnt matter much to me :)

Since you already have Thinkpad, I would suggest you go for Thinkpad again.
I bought R400 about 6 months ago. Recently Installed Ubuntu 9.10 - works
very well.
All the Thinkpad specific function keys also work - like increase/decrease
volume,brightness etc.
Hibernate to disk works.
Thinklight works

I haven't tried built-in camera as well as fingerprint scanner - but I have
a feeling I'll find some details when I search for it.

Generally Thinkpads have good linux support - but Thinkpads are costly too -
compared to "consumer" series.

-Mandar
http://desipenguin.com/techblog