[PLUG] minutes of today's monthly meet

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 22:43:42 IST 2009

Reply in-line :-

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 03:18, Aditya Godbole <aag.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/2/7 shirish <shirishag75 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Anyways, the discussion then veered towards Ubuntu spoiling things.
>>
>> The argument being put forth were :-
>>
>> a. They make things too damn easy. While people may still have to
>> configure stuff, most of the things become pretty much built-in so a
>> newbie/amateur programmer/developer who wants to play with the
>> internals doesn't need to know.
>
> But can easily know if she wants to. Isn't that better?

Hi Aditya,
    I agree this way is way way better. It was just something which
people felt.

I didn't want to make any statement for the simple reason there would
definitely
be a bias as I have been using ubuntu since the first one came out (4.10)

>> b. Because the software is on a CD, all the tools are not there due to
>> which one has to have good net connectivity to download anything.
>> While the need is similar for other distros. as well but its usually
>> something off-beat.
>>

> There is a Ubuntu DVD available.

True. In fact if one searches then one can get the whole repository
of 6 DVD on media (just like Debian) its just a bit more hidden.

> The fact is, most people use computers to address needs that are not
> related to computers. Ubuntu is a distribution that aims at enabling
> non-programmers, or people from domains other than programming, to use
> a free software desktop.
> And while it does that, it does not restrict programmers from doing
> anything they want to.

Agree to that as well.

What I'm looking forward (personally) though is the Ubuntu Customization Kit.

http://uck.sourceforge.net/

It has been packaged for Jaunty (something similar to Fedora spins I guess)
> -aditya

          Shirish Agarwal
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17