[PLUG] Logical partition

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 11:26:24 IST 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Manas Alekar <maalekar at gmail.com> wrote:

> > >      Your extended partition (/dev/sda2) is only 16 gigabytes long and
> is
> > > full. So, it cannot
> >

> Maybe I have the thing by it's tail here but, wouldn't the extended
> partition size show up as the sum of logical partition sizes ?

Kindly correct me if i've interpreted it wrong. Do you mean to say that -
doesn't the extended partition size depend upon and *always* show up as the
sum of logical partition sizes? i.e to say that doesn't the size of the
extended partition change as we add/remove logical partitions into/from it
so that, it always equals the sum ? AFAIK, one has to allocate a fixed size
to the extended partition and then create logical drives in it. That size
never changes automatically. Also, we can have space in an extended
partition which would not be a part of any logical drive and yet, show up in
the size of the extended partition.

CMIIW...

Best regards,
Pranav