[PLUG] 64-bit Linux - Is it worth the switch ?

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 08:29:34 IST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:51 PM, म.हा.सा.ग.र <o.s.h.o at guruvision.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Devendra Laulkar
> <devendralaulkar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> Nah.. 64 bit linux is always faster, no matter how much RAM you have.
> Personal
> >> experience. It boots faster, works faster and GUI is noticebly snappy
> compared
> >> to 32 bit versions. Dual boot it for some days and you will have cobwebs
> >> around your neck when using 32 bit OS.
> >>

> > May I enquire which processor and Distro you have found this to be
> > true ? I had checked few 64 bit distros a couple of years back on a
> > AMD Turion processor, and the 32 bit distro outperformed the 64 bit  -
> > esp in terms of GUI snappiness.
> >
> > -Devendra.
>

> http://64-bit-computers.com/linux-ubuntu-610-64-bit-vs-32-bit-benchmark-test.html
> http://forums.amd.com/devblog/blogpost.cfm?threadid=93648&catid=317

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:54 PM, म.हा.सा.ग.र <o.s.h.o at guruvision.com> wrote:
<http://bingouv.blogspot.com/2008/08/desktop-linux-performance-comparison32.html>
http://bingouv.blogspot.com/2008/08/desktop-linux-performance-comparison32.html

All these links somewhat corroborate what i'd mentioned. If extremely cpu
intensive apps like zlib, md5, blowfish, bc, mencoder, gpg and lame are on
an average faster only by 15-20% on 64bit linux. Then (theoretically)
everyday apps like firefox, thunderbird, openoffice, dia, kde/gnome etc
should certainly be having a smaller performance improvement. Of course, it
is always better to try it out first hand rather than debate, but still..

Kindly CMIIW.

Best regards,
Pranav
http://pranavsbrain.peshwe.com