[PLUG] 64-bit Linux - Is it worth the switch ?

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Wed Jan 21 09:24:26 IST 2009

On Tuesday 20 January 2009 20:27:27 Devendra Laulkar wrote:
> May I enquire which processor and Distro you have found this to be
> true ? I had checked few 64 bit distros a couple of years back on a
> AMD Turion processor, and the 32 bit distro outperformed the 64 bit  -
> esp in terms of GUI snappiness.

Athlon 2GHz, 1GB RAM,  Slackware  10.2-11.2(I think.. left slackware around a
year back) v/s slamd64. Near identical software versions on the both.

Things like KDE and konquerer startup were significantly and noticably faster
on 64 bit distro.

And that was quite some exageration, not the whole truth :) but 64bit distro.
are a joy to work with compared to 32 bit.
--
 Shridhar