[PLUG] help on asterisk setup

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 14:28:23 IST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM, G Karunakar <indlinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>  Any one in Pune with experience on asterisk setup? I was trying to
> figure out how to set it up to work say between 2-3 PCs and no
> telephony hardware involved.
> Say PC1 becomes server, PC2, PC3 as terminals/phones, then try calling
> PC3 from PC2.
> Just some playing around I was trying to do in home network.

Hi Karunakar,
                    If you are planning to use a machine as a dedicated VoIP
server then you can try out asteriskNow - http://www.asterisknow.org/. You
can also take a look at TrixBox CE -
http://www.trixbox.com/products/trixbox-ce. Both are asterisk centered linux
distros. The advantage of using them is that, they come bundled with a nice
UI for administration. Vanilla Asterisk (from asterisk.org) IIRC, has no
such thing. Dial plans and users have to be added by hand by editing config
files.
Another attractive contender is Druid -  http://www.voiceroute.org/. Druid
is more than just VoIP.

My 2 cents...