[PLUG] Combining two ISP connections to increase bandwidth?

शंतनू shantanoo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 23:01:23 IST 2009

On 22-Jul-09, at 10:12 PM, Mayuresh wrote:

> Fed up of downtime of my ISP and having heard the same stories about
> another
> ISP operating in the area, I am wondering whether it's possible to
> subscribe
> to both of them for redundancy.
>
> However, it won't be an economical proposition if used only for
> redundancy.
> Also, as a home user there are no multiple simultaneous users. So
> only way
> both connections would get utilized (when both are up!) and give
> value for
> money is if for a single user they both could serve in tandem. In
> other words,
> let's say I have both connections of 128 kbps, I should get an
> effective
> download speed of 256kbps for download of even a SINGLE file (and
> not multiple
> files simultaneously).
>
> To the extent I searched around, it looks difficult or impossible. I
> think it's
> a reasonable consumer expectation, though do not know about its
> feasibility.
>
> Any ideas?

Following maybe useful:
http://archive.linuxvirtualserver.org/html/lvs-users/2008-02/msg00063.html
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-networking/21557-load-balancing-iptables-packet-tagging.html

I have used it successfully used following on FreeBSD.
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html
check 'Load Balance Outgoing Traffic' section.

HTH.

--
shantanoo