[PLUG] [OT] Exceed, Exceed OnDemand, VNC

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 18:22:35 IST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM,
YogeshHasabnis<yhasabnis at rediffmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I need to use XWindow based applications on my Linux servers from my
> Windows/Linux desktop. I know VNC works for this. I learnt about Exceed. So I am
> trying to understand it's features by doing a google-search. I find that there two
> different products - Exceed and Exceed OnDemand. I would like to get some pointers
> about how these products - Exceed, Exceed OnDemand, VNC, differ from each other.
> Any advantage in using commercial products like Exceed/Exceed OnDemand ?

This link might be useful:
http://www.udel.edu/topics/connect/sw/exceed/docs/cygwin.html

In general VNC uses lesser bandwidth that X. But I have never seen
anyone start a session with VNC. With Cygwin/X you can get a full
remote desktop environment (including the login screen).

The following screenshots were taken to show cygwin/X connecting to a
"remote" co-linux machine. It shows a complete fluxbox desktop.
http://www.adotout.net/aditya/image/colinux.png
http://www.adotout.net/aditya/image/colinux1.png
http://www.adotout.net/aditya/image/colinux2.png

-aditya